Friday, June 22, 2012

I'm still here!

OK OK, I get the hint - time to update. But I still love talking to you all, so it's OK to call with reminders!

Not a whole lot going on here. I'm still having pain in my left side that nobody can figure out. My bloodwork comes back mostly normal, except for one reading that indicates a "non-specific inflammation". Which means they don't know WHAT is inflamed. I spoke with Dr. Dunn over the phone for about half an hour on Wed. (What doctor calls you at home and talks to you for 30 minutes to try to figure out what's going on? LOVE her!) After a discussion of my symptoms, she decided to put me on erythmorycin. It's an antibiotic, so it should clear up any bacteria in there, but also functions as a motility drug in case that's my problem. (Motility means how quickly food moves through my digestive system. Both infection and motility problems are common complications after this surgery.) We'll talk next week to determine how that's working out, and what to do next. She said that the 3-6 mo recovery period is the hardest, which made me feel a little better. During the surgery, they basically gut you, so there's a lot of extra room in your abdomen. Not only are your organs still healing from the trauma, but they tend to shift around with all that extra space. Makes sense now that I hear it.

I also saw the pain doctor this week, and he changed my pain meds around a bit. It seems to be helping with the pain, but I'm more nauseous now. My nausea medicine makes me really drowsy, so I'm napping a lot. It usually takes a couple days for me to adjust, so I should be better by tomorrow.

The kids are gone for the summer with their dad in Tx, so it's pretty quiet around the house. (Hi my babies - I know you read this! I love you and I miss you!) I have to take up some sort of hobby that doesn't require much focus, attention, or physical exertion. Any ideas? Reading is out because I fall asleep within a minute, and knitting or anything with needles probably isn't a good idea. I guess now those underwater basketweaving classes I took in college will come in handy! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment