Monday, February 18, 2013

Update from MN

Hello everyone,

Well, I am in Minnesota again, for both my 1 year post-op visit and also to meet a whole gaggle of doctors who will try to figure out why I'm still so jacked up.

I saw the pain management doctor first today. He said that I am extremely sensitive to pain and looked at it from a physiological/psychological perspective. He believes I'm trying to focus on my end goal (returning to my previous lifestyle, working, etc) instead of healing what's ailing me in the moment. This is true - I am always looking for the time when I will live a normal life. (As normal as possible, anyway...)  I think a lot of it is learning how to practice mind over matter. He has a program where he works with the psychologist- they see the patient about 3 times each over a couple weeks, then send you back home to practice it for 3 months, then come back for some final sessions. He believes I suffer from PTSD stemming from the surgery. Since I define myself as valuable by the ability to work and take care of my family, I have a tough time when I'm unable to do those thing. Personally, I think the PTSD label tends to be a bit over used, but I guess the surgery could be identified as a traumatic event. Either way, I'm willing to try new things!

Then I saw the GI. He is definitely interested, but quite baffled by me. He ordered some tests, and wants to talk to the team at their group meeting Wed night. Then Dr Freeman came in. He's the one who finally diagnosed all my pancreas issues. I just love the guy. I even gave him a big hug, and for those who know me, you know how much I hug!  ;-) He suggested changing out my pancreatic enzymes;  I will be on those for the rest of my life, though I had to take them prior to my panky-yanky so that's no big deal.

So, tomorrow (Tues), I have an appt with the psychologist, Dr Dunn (my pancreas surgeon), bloodwork, an EKG, a CT and a Dexa scan (measures the calcium in your bones).  Then Wed and Thurs I spend the day doing tests from the study drug. Friday I meet with the pain dr again. It sounds like I will be here about 2-3 weeks, as long as I don't need surgery.  Î should know much more by tomorrow, so I'll do my best to update y'all as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment