Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Cankles

Just wanted to pop in to say hi. I have some good news - the feeding tube is gone! It's all up to me now! It has changed my insulin needs a bit, but nothing totally out of control. We've noticed that my blood sugar goes a bit high after meals. I hadn't needed to count carbs or give myself insulin before meals. So, I was at 18 units of long-acting insulin; now I'm at 12 units of long-acting and then use the short acting before meals. I just started today, so we'll see how that works. Of course I was hoping for no insulin or only 1 shot a day, but it's all worth it to not have that panky pain ever again!!! I need to get a new glucometer - for those thinking of the one touch ultra mini, it is not accurate. I have to test my blood 3 or 4 times in order to get an average reading. For example, last night it read 463, then 176, then 199, then 128 all in a matter of minutes. Anyway, just a warning to anyone looking for a meter.

Thursday I go to the endocrinologist for my 3 month tests. They're doing the "Boost Test" where I have to drink one of those Boost milkshakes, then they take my blood periodically over 2 hours. It measures how well my islets are working. Then they draw blood for an A1c, which measures my average blood sugar over the last 3 months.

I'm still having abdominal pain and lots of swelling in my joints. I understand the abdominal pain, but not the joints. Those seem to feel a little worse with each passing day, though I'm not sure why. (Nor are the doctors.)  I didn't ask the endocrinologist the last time I saw him, but I will on Thurs. He's a pretty sharp guy and seems willing to cooperate.

OK, that's all for now. I'll update everyone once I hear the results. Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment