Thursday, January 12, 2012

Great article

This is a good article about the TP-IAT (Total Pancreatectomy with Islet Auto Transplant). I recommend downloading and saving it. I refer back to it very frequently, and I seem to learn something new every time I read it. It's long (25 pages), but good for quick references. It is written by the team up in MN.

www.top5plus5.com/Procedures_files/SCNA.pdf

So, during a TP-IAT, they remove your pancreas, spleen, gall bladder, part of your stomach and duodenum (the first part of your intestines). The spleen is taken because it is very vascular and can cause massive bleeding - man, I know all about that! When a different surgeon removed my spleen in 2007, it was supposed to be just a laparoscopic surgery but I started bleeding so they had to zipper my abdomen wide open in order to stop the bleeding. They stopped it eventually, but I needed 9 units of blood and have a giant scar down my belly now. The spleen is also a source of blood supply to the pancreas, which they want to maintain until they're ready to harvest those islets from the pancreas. The gall bladder is removed because it can cause complications during or after surgery, so they just take it out then. But why the stomach and intestines? It ends up that other studies on bariatric surgery show that when the procedure is done a certain way, patients' diabetes improved after surgery. So now they perform the same procedure on TP patients to reduce the amount of islets needed to obtain insulin independence. (This is on pg 1484 in the "Metabolic considerations" section.) So, there you have it - when they yank my cranky panky, I get a gastric bypass thrown in for free! (Well, probably not FREE, or anything close to it...) And that, my friends, is the REST of the story...

As for me, not doing so hot after the stent removal. Just going to the Dr makes me so sick for the rest of the day. I just can't get out of bed these days or my pain goes through the roof. I am eagerly awaiting my testing to begin, so I can move forward.

For you attorney-types out there, interpret this for me. It's from the disability paperwork that they want me to sign, but it clearly isn't rocket science because I have NO idea what it means!

"I expressly waive presentment, demand, notice and protest, and also waive any delay on the part of the holder hereof. I assent to any extension or other indulgence permitted me by the Trust with respect to this Note and/or any other liability."

Say what?

No comments:

Post a Comment