Friday, December 23, 2011

12/23/11 update

Dr. Cunningham, my GI said that I had "pancreatic parenchymal abnormalities consisting of hyperechoic strands and hyperchoic foci were noted in the entire pancreas. The pancreatic duct had hyperechoic walls in the body of the pancreas. There was no sign of significant pathology in the common bile duct." I really have no idea what that means, but I think it's basically saying that I have chronic pancreatitis. I don't remember what details I've already put on this blog - the hospital blocks blog sites for some reason. I can get on Facebook, email, etc but no blog. I can update it by sending an email, so that's what I have to do for now. Anyway, the stuff above is the report from the EUS. Then he did an ERCP. My minor papilla was swollen shut again, so he placed a stent in it. This was basically good news because I should get some relief once the irritation dies down. He also cut my major papilla, but did not stent it. (Not quite sure why he cut it, as it is a dead end and does not secrete enzymes.)  He also looked at my bile duct and that looked good and open, which is good. He cut that duct too, just for the fun of it, i guess. My liver tests a couple weeks ago indicated that my liver may be damaged from a backup of pancreatic enzymes, but it was not.

I'm still in the hospital, at least for another day. My blood work all turned out okay, but I'm in a lot of pain and can't get it under control yet. I had to plead with the Dr to try more or different meds, and then didn't submit the order. Then the nurse got all irritated with me when I asked her to page him, and now she's just flat ignoring me. I hate hate hate stupid Tucson medical care!

I will still consult with the Tucson pancreatic surgeon, Dr. Rilo. I have heard that he is very good. I don't have an appt with him yet - Dr. Cunningham said he will consult  with Rilo and get me an appt. I also got dates for the MN Dr.  I am meeting with Dr. Freeman (who worked his magic on me originally) on Feb 1, and Dr. Pruett (the surgeon) on Feb 2. Dr. Pruett is the chief of surgery at UMN, so I will be in good hands. That's all I can remember for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment