Monday, December 19, 2011

Dec 19, 2011

I saw Dr Mitchell Parker today, my endocrinoligist. A friend of ours has a brother with pancreatitis and a benign thyroid tumor. Once they removed the tumor, his pancreatitis went away and hasnt come back. So, I figured I would at least look into that possibility. He had some bloodwork from my thyroid and said that it was absolutely normal - it has actually started working better in the last couple years. However, he looked over the results of some blood glucose measurements that I've taken at home, and says that those are indicative of diabetes. So, I'm going in first thing tomorrow (Tues) and is going to run an "official" test. This wouldn't be surprising to me because it's clear that my pancreas doesn't work anyway. It's certainly not a good thing, but it would sure make the pancreatectomy decision easier! One day at a time...

Also, we've been able to get my pain a little more stable. I have a fentanyl patch that slowly releases the medication into my bloodstream. I change the patch every 3 days. It has really helped to knock my pain down to a very low level so I'm not dealing with the peaks and valleys. I feel pretty good, as long as I'm in bed. But getting out and about is still pretty hard on me. Lew took me to the Dr today and then we stopped to get a video, and I was really nauseated and in a lot of pain just from that.  Only 3 more days til my ERCP! I know it's definitely not a 'cure', but hopefully it gets me to be a little closer to resembling a human being!

No comments:

Post a Comment