Saturday, December 24, 2011

Still here!

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone! I'm still here in the hospital, doing OK. I'm still hoping to get sprung tonight, but I think my chances are waning. My white blood cell count is high, so they're trying to figure out why. They did a chest ray on me this morning - I'm guessing to check for pneumonia maybe? I have a bit of a cough, but certainly don't feel like anything close to pneumonia. Not sure what those xray results are yet, though.

The vein with my IV blew this morning so the nurse stuck me 9 times and still couldn't get a new one started. I talked the Dr into just prescribing me oral meds since I wanted to go home today anyway. Then around lunchtime, the nurse came in and said the Dr ordered a new IV and a blood culture, and then another blood culture an hour later. So, she tried 4 or 5 times to get an IV started, but she couldn't do it. They called a trauma nurse to try and it took him about 5 sticks before he got a tiny one in my shoulder. It's a 24 gauge that he says they only use in infants. I just have really sucky veins! Right in the middle of this, Lew brought the kids over to see me, so they had to take a little walk while they finished up my IV. But it was really good to see my babies! They each brought me very nice Christmas cards so I have them up on a shelf in my room. They were so sweet, and very interested in everything that was going on. Kyle especially was asking me all about IVs and thought that the saline bag was the coolest thing ever, lol! He was fascinated that I could get water through my veins AND drink it through my mouth at the same time! Cami was a little more reserved - said she doesn't think she wants to be a nurse anymore because she could never stick a needle in someone. She was quiet today - I feel so bad that she (and everyone) has to deal with this. It's just crappy that this nasty illness impacts all my friends and family, too.  :-(

But, I'm feeling much better today, so we'll cross our fingers that I can go home soon! Lewy, thank you for taking such good care of my babies (and me!). Marilyn, thanks for making pies with them - they love to bake with you. I just want them to have a happy (and normal) Christmas. Hugs out to everyone - I'll keep you posted as soon as I know what's going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment