Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Wednesday update from MN

Well, we had some good evaluations today. First was my MRI. This got started late, of course, because they couldn't start a stinkin IV. After the vascular team got there and got the IV started, they started the MRI. In the middle, they gave me secretin which stimulates the pancreas and they can see how it functions on the MRI. My pancreas does not like to be stimulated, so I felt pretty yucky after that. They did have to re-record some of the sequences because you're supposed to steadily breathe through the frames, but I kept falling asleep and would actually stop breathing in the middle! It just never ends...

Then we met with Dr. Freeman, the man who first diagnosed all my pancreatic issues. He was a bit concerned that the diagnostic tests (like the EUS) didn't really show much damage, so he didn't have much clear cut evidence that the TP-IAT would help me. However, the excellent results I got from the ERCP pointed toward the pancreas definitely causing my pain. We talked about the years of experience that MN had, and how that would definitely factor into my choice of where to have the surgery.

So, now we have a major decision on our hands - where do we do the cranky panky yanky? AZ is more convenient, for sure. And they have a good lab for isolating those islets. But, MN's facility is world class - it doesn't get any better than them. MN has also done many more surgeries than AZ, so have a good grasp on how to manage pain, as well as how to help the body heal. These centers learn by trial and error, and MN is further down that path. Of course, there are added expenses with MN - even after I'm discharged from the hospital, we would need to stay in MN for a few more weeks until the drs felt comfortable with me travelling. We'll just have to see how the dates work out. Dr. Freeman said that they evaluate 3-5 cases every week, but only perform one TP-IAT per week, so I have to imagine that there's a big backlog. Louise is going to call me tomorrow to discuss next steps. It may just come down to when they can get me in. The experience and attention to detail is just phenomenal in MN, and Dr. Dunn is clearly a perfectionist and would do an impeccable job on my scar and all of the reattachments. I think the Tucson team would also do a great job and I would feel totally comfortable having it done there. But for me, it comes down to the experience and the quality of care you find in MN that is just not there in AZ. Insurance coverage can also be a deciding factor. I guess we will see - hopefully I will find out more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment