Saturday, March 17, 2012

Another day

Still in the hospital. They have ruled out pneumonia and blood clots. It's just fluid that is in the sac around my lung, which they call pulmonary effusion. The Dr says that lung is also collapsed. They don't worry if you can get it out pretty quickly, so that's what I have to try to do for the rest of the day with some respiratory aids.  Last night, they were afraid that there was a small tear that the drainage tube in my back may have nicked. Then all the gunk in that abscess drained from my back into my lung. They don't think that's what happened now, though, phew! They looked at the fluid around my lung and said it doesn't look like the pus from the abscess, just water. So, they've given me antibiotics last night and a diuretic today. The hope is that the diuretic will dry out some of the fluid in the lungs. It better kick in soon because it's hard to breathe 1 teaspoon at a time. It's amazing - it takes me like 10 minutes to get from my bed to the bathroom (in my room) because I have to walk so slow or I run out of breath! So, they'll get another xray tomorrow and re-assess what needs to happen. If the fluid is draining, they will let it work itself out. If the fluid is still there, they may decide on the drain. I'll keep everyone posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment