Friday, March 30, 2012

A beautiful day in Minneapolis

I had an appt at the clinic yesterday for some blood work and a culture of the fluid from that abscess drain. Assuming that there are no surprises, I get to have the drain pulled today (Friday)! I am so excited about this! I want this tube OUT!

After that, we walked over to the student union in search of something worthy enough to be my first bite of food. It was such a beautiful day - great to be alive! (Sadly, today is cold and dreary...) Anyway, the student union is huge! There are so many stores in there, it was like a mall. The first store we encountered was the bookstore. This thing was massive and oh so wonderful. Seriously, this bookstore was about the size of a Target. There was a "gift shop" up front with all of the UMN garb - sweatshirts, hats, mugs, etc. Then you go into the main bookstore that has another section of greeting cards, stationery, and other knickknacks, an electronics section, and 2 big book sections - one for regular books and one for textbooks. I think we spent over an hour in there and only looked at about half the store.

Then off in our search for food. We made it to the convenience store, which didn't have much of anything, though I did get some mac n cheese. (One of my cravings, in addition to mashed potatoes.) We decided to walk back home, with a stop at Jamba Juice on the way. Before surgery, I practically lived on Jamba - yum! Not. It tasted horrible to me. Mom said that she thought it tasted good. I think my taste buds need to get used to food now. A few days ago I ate a small bite of Hershey's chocolate and it really did nothing for me. Woe! Once we got home I made the mac n cheese. I scooped out 1/4th of the little tray to start. The taste wasn't anything to write home about, but it wasn't horrid either. I had a little bit of nausea, but didn't need to give myself insulin, so that was very exciting to me!

Now I'm just waiting for Louise to call me back with a time to get this drain out. She better not make me wait through the weekend! And, of course, I have another issue du jour. My j-tube has a small leak in it. I put some blue medicine into that tube, and a couple blue drops oozed out of the incision site. Now, there's about 12 inches of tube between the port I put meds in and where it goes into my belly so it's not like I dripped on it accidently or anything. I've found that if I add my meds very very slowly, it will not leak. So I have a temporary fix, but I don't know what they'll do for long term. The hole is definitely inside me, not in the exposed portion. Man, I hope they don't have to replace it! Maybe they can pull it out just a little and we can duct tape it or something. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. I started eating in the hospital and thought it was just the food that was bad..but it really is your taste buds. They change. But once you keep eating for a while, I promise you they come back! The first week after surgery everything tasted like salt or something icky. Now that I have kept eating for weeks everything is back to normal thank goodness. I remember jill telling me my buds would come back and I prayed they would! They DO! PROMISE! Foods still hard to eat for me after 5 weeks of doing it, but it has gotten so much better than when I first started so there is hope for you! Each week it will get better and better. Praying it just feels better soon for you. NO more NAUSEA! I never threw up once in the hospital or had any nausea. The minute I got home and "really started eating" I threw up all the time! So I feel you:-( I still have throwing up, but again, it got better with each week I tried eating. Just know it will get better. IT WILL! No matter how much you think its gonna be like this, I told my mom if it was like this forever I would regret the surgery. And it didn't stay like it:-) Hope my ramdle jamble helps a little...love ya chica! Hang in there! PS You look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete