Thursday, March 15, 2012

Finally, an update!

Ok, it's been a few days since I've posted...sorry, sorry! It has been a very rough few days. My g-tube (the tube that drains my stomach) keeps getting clogged, so all sorts of nasty crud sits around in my stomach, causing lots of nausea, vomiting and pain. I know the different hospitals approach this in their own ways - AZ does not place a g-tube, MN does. At this point, I cant even imagine how I would feel if I didn't have this tube. But when it gets clogged, it's like I go into septic shock or something. My whole body feels like it's on fire, and just shakes uncontrollably. Then mom has to try to flush it, which is not an easy task. Last night it was about 3 hours before she could get it unclogged. This is not something I was warned about before the surgery, so just know that it will play a huge role in your recovery. Just as an example, after we got it unclogged today, I drained over a liter of nasty, gross, thick-as-molasses bile in about 3 hours. I promise that it does not feel good to carry that much around in your belly when you can't get it out!

Anyway, my sister Erin came out to visit for a few days. She was so funny - it has been gorgeous and in the 70s here, but she was freezing. I had the window in my room open because I was hot, while Erin is all curled up in a ball wearing a ski jacket. I've finally found someone who is colder than my mother! Then again, neither one have an ounce of body fat on them. I am taking one for the team by showing them just how much money you can save in outerwear when you are pleasantly plump.  :-) The other photo is one we snapped walking by the Ronald McDonald House. That's where the families of children receiving treatment stay while they're here. It is really a gorgeous facility! You can see my enormous belly in that picture - I am still carrying around so much in my stomach that it is just huge right now.

I had an appt with Dr. Dunn on Monday. Every time we meet with her, we are just amazed by this lady. I am so confident knowing that God placed her in my life. She is so kind and attentive and really listens to what you say, but she's no BS when it comes to getting things done. And when I've complained about anyone (1 nurse I had trouble with, and 1 Dr), she addresses the behaviors quickly and directly. I just love her. I have another appointment with her next Tues 3/20. At that point, she will assess how much longer I need to be out here. She said probably 1-2 weeks after that Tues appt. As anxious as I am to get home, there is a lot of comfort here knowing that I'm very close to such great medical care. I can't even imagine dealing with some of these issues as an outpatient in Tucson. She wants me to be here when I start eating because that changes your insulin needs drastically. While I've been sick these last few days, my blood sugars have been going all over the place, and it hasn't been fun. I will feel much better being right here until I have that in check. But I am so ready to be home in my own bed!

That's all for now. I will try to update more often, which will hopefully mean that I am feeling better!

1 comment: