Tuesday, March 6, 2012

We're out of the hospital!!! :-)

Hi, Megan here... Yay! That was a bit longer than even I anticipated - the drs say 10-14 days in the hospital, real experience average is 11 days. I put myself at 2 weeks figuring something would pop up, but ended up there for 18 days. Oh well, I'm out now!

Overall, I'm feeling pretty awesome. Yes, I get tired just walking into the living room. My belly is still swollen and distended. It's tough to get anywhere when you have tubes and drains and pumps attached to your body. But it's not pancreas pain! It's just your plain ol' "got yer guts ripped outta yer belly" kinda pain. But let me repeat - THE PANCREAS PAIN IS GONE!!!@

It's pretty overwhelming to see everything we have to do. The list of meds alone looks like a re-stock order from CVS. There's all my liquid nutrition, plus the bags and pump for feeding, along with the enzymes I need for that. And don't forget all the diabetes testing supplies and the insulin that I need to give myself.

Mom has just been amazing through all of this. My pain and nausea drugs had to be "scheduled" to make sure the levels stay about the same. Unfortunately, this means that we're waking up about once an hour through the night - not fun! But mom has organized all my meds and what needs to be taken when, and all of my feedings and what goes along with them, and just so many more other things.

I did a ton of research before this surgery on the process, success rates, procedures, risks and benefits, but I really don't remember reading about the absolute necessity of having an organized system in place to know what needs to be done and when to do it. This is really overwhelming when you see the vast quantities of everything that has to be done. And i can help with some of it, but I'm so loopy most of the time I don't even know my own name. Seriously, I know mom has LOTS of stories!

I will try to attach some photos to this post. Hopefully that works! I really want to thank each and every one of you who have supported my family and me throughout all this. Your prayers have gotten us through some real tough situations. Please keep them up, as I know we will be facing more in the future. So, thank you, thank you, thank you!

2 comments: